Twentynine Palms Artists Guild | 29 Palms Art Gallery
Twentynine Palms Artists’ Guild is the oldest arts organization in the Morongo Basin. It was founded in 1951 by eight distinguished artists: John Hilton, Merritt Boyer, Evelyn Hutchinson, Michael Malloy, Kirk Martin, Vera Martin, Edna Onderdonk, and Fritiof Perssons.
The 29 Palms Art Gallery opened in 1963 in a historic adobe built in 1936 by the Stubbs brothers for western author Tom Hopkins. Mixture for the original adobe bricks was brought from Mesquite Dry Lake, fill dirt was made up of gold tailings from the Gold Crown Mine, and plaster for the walls came from the Anaconda Mine. Some of the support beams were railroad ties used during construction of the Los Angeles Aqueduct in 1913. The spikes in these ties can still be seen in the lintels over the doors and windows.
In the late 1950s to the early 1960s, the Gallery was set up in the Charlton Adobe. Irene Zimmers Charlton was a longtime artist with the Guild. After being sold to 29 Palms Inn, this adobe became known as Irene's Adobe. In 1963, the Guild leased the current historic adobe (Tom Hopkins Adobe), and then purchased it from Edward and Margaret Schiller in 1964 for a community art gallery. An extensive remodeling project began in July of 1963 when the original adobe plaster was stripped off. The bricks were then replastered with stucco for greater protection of the original adobe bricks.
The Guild obtained its non-profit status in 1963, and then by 1967 had paid off the mortgage, the ashes of which were placed in a gold casket mounted in the fireplace mantel of what is now the East Gallery room.
Since acquiring the old adobe, the Artists‘ Guild has converted an old garage into a Gift Shop, which has financially supported the Gallery over the years. In 1972 the Lee Lukes Pickering room was added, and in 1992 the West Gallery was built…all from generous community support.
The 29 Palms Art Gallery is a landmark in the City of Twentynine Palms providing exhibitions, art receptions, seasonal events, Monday morning paint-outs, and art classes for all ages that are offered to desert locals, visitors and snowbirds.
Twentynine Palms Artists’ Guild is an all-volunteer, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, which owns and operates the 29 Palms Art Gallery. We are fully supported by memberships, donations, contributions, and grants. Membership is open to all artists and art-appreciators.